This winter will see an amazing selection of beautiful winter woollies. I’ve been so tempted to buy more than a few while out shopping for clients – I think this season in particular, is exceptional for jumpers and cardi’s. Expect to feel as ‘snug as a bug’ in beautiful luxe fabrications – which is what winter is all about! You’ll find an abundance of mohair, wool and merino wool, cashmere, angora and cotton.
The colour palettes are splendid too while being versatile with lots of easy to mix and match neutrals – the ‘non colours’. There seems to be a strong lean towards a warm undertone but also plenty for the cool coloured person.
In terms of styles I’m loving the return of the super soft teddy, feather and fluffy options. I’m seeing a massive variety in textured, ribbed, polo and rugby sweaters, cable, slouch, patch pocket, cropped, mid and long line, oversized, fitted, boyfriend, zip up and button through.
And whilst the winter woolly trend is again fabulous this year and we’d love to have more of it, it’s not always easy to wear or ‘pull off’.
Chunky jumpers and cardigan do just that, they makes us look chunky giving the appearance of added weight. Chunky can also spell boxy which hides an otherwise slim and defined waistline and torso.
1. Like me, if you love and want to wear chunky jumpers and cardi’s wear a nice slim line pant/bottom to achieve great balance throughout your outfit. This will instantly have you looking more youthful, modern and less swamped.
2. Consider proportions before you worry too much about your ‘shape’ – proportions are even more important. When choosing an on trend chunky knit check that your legs look significantly longer than your torso. We look well ‘put together’ when we’re dressed in the thirds verses 50/50. You can easily apply the half tuck principal – simply tuck your knit in just behind your trouser wait band at the front to shortening the garment.
3. Petite size people (under 5’4) can still wear and enjoy this season’s chunky knits. Consider cotton or fine merino wool with subtle or no texture and details. I own and love a cropped cotton knit with cable details on the arms only. Avoid details or texture where you don’t want to add bulk.
4. The current cropped jumper and cardi trend is an easy alternative if you want to appear taller and leaner. Mix in with your active wardrobe and look out for knitted dresses – this could be your answer to wearing more wool while looking super feminine.
5. Have fun with different necklines – try a pollo, mock, V, turtle, crew, cowl, zip and round. Once again, don’t overwhelm this area of your body and consider the amount of fabric you’re comfortable with.
As seen in http://www.weekenderherald.com.au/